Is Home and Building Insurance Similar?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Is it important to get building insurance for your home? As a landlord, yes, it is your responsibility to get it. However, it is not compulsory. Gambling on home insurance might be tempting, but is the risk worth it? By deciding to get one for your home, what type of cover should you choose?

  • Cheap home insurance,
  • Cheap house insurance for over 60’sOr
  • Best home insurance

Bear with us and find out the right and affordable home insurance to compare house insurance technique. So, without any further ado, let’s find out!

Define Home Insurance

Home insurance covers the whole house that includes structure and its contents. It is divided into two types:

  1. Building insurance
  2. Contents insurance

Building insurance covers permanent fixtures, whereas contents insurance covers the items that you keep in your house.

Define Building Insurance

When you are worried about your home structure, such as walls, floors, and roofs, building insurance is the best option for you. It covers fixtures and fittings too.

With fitted kitchens or bathrooms, we highly recommend this insurance as it will pay for its repair.

How Much is Building Insurance Required?

You can sort out the required insurance in various ways. Firstly, you must make sure that it covers the price for rebuilding your house from scratch along with professional fees. The rebuild cost of your house is usually on your mortgage valuation or survey.

However, if you could not find it, the Association of British Insurers (ABI’s) rebuild calculator can help you estimate it.

What is Not Covered in Building Insurance?

Generally, this insurance will not cover wear and tear, but each insurance has its exclusions. Usually, this insurance does not include:

  • Pests (e.g., birds and insects)
  • Gutter’s leakage
  • Frost (not when a burst pipe does the damage)

Moreover, you cannot claim for a loss or damage for a property left unoccupied for 30 or 60 days. Also, fences and gates which are damaged by the storm are not covered.

Comparison of Home & Content Insurance

Your insurance must cover all the important parts and items in your house. The Insurance policies vary so; remember to give it a thorough reading to know what is included and what extras are offered. Usually, some policies are generous than others, so give it a skim reading.

Ready for Comparison?

Get your cheapest home insurance at a minute

Get Free Quotes

Also Read: Things to Remember When Shifting Your Home


Home insurance covers all sections of the house that includes content and building insurance. If there is no valuable content in the house, you can opt for building insurance only to save you some money.

Furthermore, as the insurance policies vary from each other, reading what is included and excluded can help you choose the one you need.

If this blog helped you out, let us know in the comment section. Also, if you have a query related to it, we are always available to help.

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube platforms for new information and discounts.

compare home insurance

 Is Building Insurance the Same as House Insurance?
Article Name
Is Building Insurance the Same as House Insurance?
Home insurance in the UK includes contents and building insurance or a two-in-one policy. Both cover different sections of your home as per your needs.
Publisher Name
Compare Market Insurance
Publisher Logo

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse and use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. All Rights Reserved. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners.